Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dual Batteries
I did my dual battery mod. This will give me peace of mind when I am scouting in the middle of nowhere.

I have had the switch for some time. My father bought it for the motorhome, but never used it. I finally found the perfect use for it.
I would like to have installed twin Optimas, but funds are low.

I cut , hammered drilled and welded the new battery tray from a single piece of sheet steel.
I dimpled two of the bolt holes with a ball peen hammer to keep the bolt heads away from the battery's shell. All edges were smoothed to prevent chafing of nearby harnesses.
I added a ridge made of rod to the tray to allow for the use of a GM battery clamp set-up. I was not able to find the plastic block used on GMs, so I picked up a conventional tie-down kit and used it instead.

The tray is bolted in to allow access to the harness that runs underneath it.

Last, but not least, the switch controls the GROUND connections instead of the positive connections. I actually read the instructions and diagrams, threw them aside and did it my way.
It is so much safer to run ground cables all over the place and keep positive cables short and direct.
The alternator wire still runs to battery one, as always. Battery 1 has a positive jumper to battery 2, so the alternator is essentially connected to both at all times. However, only the battery with a ground connection will charge. It may seem backwards, but think about it; it still breaks the circuit.

Here are the pics:

The finished tray
[Image: 2218930_582_full.jpg]

The location.
[Image: 2218930_583_full.jpg]

The tray, bolted in place.
[Image: 2218930_584_full.jpg]

The switch.

[Image: 2218930_586_full.jpg]

[Image: 2218930_585_full.jpg]

[Image: 2218930_587_full.jpg]

The completed installation:

[Image: 2218930_588_full.jpg]

[Image: 2218930_589_full.jpg]
nIce install!
[Image: 5260151.jpeg]
Very clean install, it looks like it belongs 185
[Image: 3gears.gif]06 CC 4X2 6sp Avalanche White NISMO SPORT[Image: drive.gif]
[Image: 43d20b1b.jpg]
Click on the picture for my Frontier thread
But if you are only charging one battery, what good is the second one; will it not be dead when you finally go to use it? I might be missing something fundamental about 12 volt power systems, so please make me understand why you have it set up this way.

Thanks.
Have you thought of adding an inverter so you can have 120V AC when offroading? This is my next project.
06 NISMO - 2" PRG spacer/deaver - Banks Power - Cooper STT's on Pathfinder wheels - PIAA's
06 Titan - 2" PRG spacer/blocks - Banks Power - Volant - 33" Toyos - Carriage works grille - Bully dog tuner
91 Hardbody SEV6 Auto 4x4. 95 frame. 2" suspension lift ARB springs Calmini UCA/shackles SwayAway T-bars. 2" body lift. Custom exhaust with magnaflow. 33x12.5R15 DC MC Tires on 15x10 Ultra 50/51 aluminum wheels. Custom bed, sliders, and bumpers coming soon!
66 Patrol.... it's orange...

It is designed to be a redudnant system. It is designed to be a redudnant system. This was done primarily for reliability. I often find myself in the middle of nowhere with no cell service, so my truck MUST be reliable.
I only operate one battery at a time, with the possible exception of winching, where I might select "BOTH". That means normal running and charging of one battery . The other battery just sits there just as if it were on a shelf in the store. I intend to switch from one battery to the other on occasion to keep them both topped up.

And yes, I do intend to add an inverter for when I am camping. Connected to one battery only, I will have one full battery for starting.
Res, you copied that from another forum I was on. 165 164 165 Looks good.
06 nismo CC 4X4: SOLD and replaced with 2017 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon; Teraflex 3" lift, 315/70-17 Cooper STT PRO tires on Fuel Trophy wheels, JCR bumpers front and rear w/Warn 9.5cti winch in front, Ace sliders, GraBars, Weathertech window deflectors and floor liners
98 Jeep Wrangler in the garage, 2" lift, 33X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Locks, Pioneer/MTX/RF P3 Sound, Borla Header w/Flowmaster
63 and 67 Nissan Patrols (under construction)
so let me get this straight, the system charges whichever battery you choose the selector to? brilliant! 185
"it does not matter who started the thread, at the end of the day i will be it's last poster...."
[Image: carph3.jpg]
What about the both selection. Is the alternator capable of charging both?
06 nismo CC 4X4: SOLD and replaced with 2017 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon; Teraflex 3" lift, 315/70-17 Cooper STT PRO tires on Fuel Trophy wheels, JCR bumpers front and rear w/Warn 9.5cti winch in front, Ace sliders, GraBars, Weathertech window deflectors and floor liners
98 Jeep Wrangler in the garage, 2" lift, 33X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Locks, Pioneer/MTX/RF P3 Sound, Borla Header w/Flowmaster
63 and 67 Nissan Patrols (under construction)
Probably so. It is a 94 amp GM alternator. It was a bit of an upgrade from the 60 amp Nissan alternator.
I made it fit. 165

[Image: 2218930_136_full.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Custom dynomax dual exhaust nismo4.0 5 7,771 04-06-2018, 12:29 AM
Last Post: boniel
  Dual exhaust project Jagsguy01 16 12,785 01-09-2008, 10:31 AM
Last Post: Jagsguy01