Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rear blocks or shackles
Which would be better 3" blocks or 2.5 inch shackles for rear lift? Pros and cons of each please.
thanks
Between the 2, I would take shackles. Blocks contribute to axle wrap, where the axle tries to rotate under acceleration.
06 nismo CC 4X4: SOLD and replaced with 2017 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon; Teraflex 3" lift, 315/70-17 Cooper STT PRO tires on Fuel Trophy wheels, JCR bumpers front and rear w/Warn 9.5cti winch in front, Ace sliders, GraBars, Weathertech window deflectors and floor liners
98 Jeep Wrangler in the garage, 2" lift, 33X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Locks, Pioneer/MTX/RF P3 Sound, Borla Header w/Flowmaster
63 and 67 Nissan Patrols (under construction)
Neither... I'll take add-a-leaf or new leaf pack please. Between the two though, I'd have to agree with mdawg. The reason I prefer new leaves is because (as mdawg said) the blocks just help axle wrap, and shackles are said to flatten your leaf pack over time. Depends what purpose you are lifting the truck for:

If your doing it plainly for looks and hardly go off-road, then the low-cost blocks will probably be the answer. If you do towing, off-roading, and/or actually use your truck hauling gravel/dirt etc then I'd suggest new leaves (either AAL or new pack). And behind door number three, get the shackles if you simply drive your trive around on and off the road.

These are just my views on the subject, others may say different. Whatever you do plan on getting, I strongly recommend PRG.
06 NISMO - 2" PRG spacer/deaver - Banks Power - Cooper STT's on Pathfinder wheels - PIAA's
06 Titan - 2" PRG spacer/blocks - Banks Power - Volant - 33" Toyos - Carriage works grille - Bully dog tuner
91 Hardbody SEV6 Auto 4x4. 95 frame. 2" suspension lift ARB springs Calmini UCA/shackles SwayAway T-bars. 2" body lift. Custom exhaust with magnaflow. 33x12.5R15 DC MC Tires on 15x10 Ultra 50/51 aluminum wheels. Custom bed, sliders, and bumpers coming soon!
66 Patrol.... it's orange...

I agree with the add-a-leafs for the best solution.
06 nismo CC 4X4: SOLD and replaced with 2017 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon; Teraflex 3" lift, 315/70-17 Cooper STT PRO tires on Fuel Trophy wheels, JCR bumpers front and rear w/Warn 9.5cti winch in front, Ace sliders, GraBars, Weathertech window deflectors and floor liners
98 Jeep Wrangler in the garage, 2" lift, 33X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Locks, Pioneer/MTX/RF P3 Sound, Borla Header w/Flowmaster
63 and 67 Nissan Patrols (under construction)
IMHO, if you just need a little lift to match a front lift, shackles are the way to go. It maintains the same ride and load-carrying ability.

For more than a couple of inches, a pack with more arch is the way to go.

For more load capacity, go with a thicker pack.

Eglasi, how would shackles flatten the packs? 179
I read in off-road books that shackles (which i have now) don;t get as good ariticulation as blocks do? I have the 2.5 inch shacks on there now but want to go about an 1 inch higher, mabe add a 1 inch block to? And add a leaf or new leaf packs will make it ride alot stiffer i want the factory style ride. As far as towing i just tow a 4X7 trailer for my quad.
Quote:Shackles can cause spring fatigue as they allow the spring to flex more than they were designed. Unless the bump stop is lengthened to prevent extra flex, the springs can/will fatigue. - Greg at PRG

When I installed my AAL, the difference was actually not all that big. It made it a little stiffer, but nothing I could complain about. Since you have shackles already, the question is how much money do you want to spend? You could combine the shackles with either blocks or leaves. The 1"/2" block isn't gonna give you much axle wrap and is fairly cheap (compared to leaves). If you want to spend more money, I would go with AAL or new pack (new pack is expensive) and leave the shackles in. The AAL gives about 2".

Quote:Using shackles with just the stock leaf pack can hyper-extend the factory leaves (because the spring tries to "bend" around the stock overload and cause premature sag). Using our spring upgrade will prevent spring fatigue when running shackles, as these are used in place of the factory overload leaf. PRG
06 NISMO - 2" PRG spacer/deaver - Banks Power - Cooper STT's on Pathfinder wheels - PIAA's
06 Titan - 2" PRG spacer/blocks - Banks Power - Volant - 33" Toyos - Carriage works grille - Bully dog tuner
91 Hardbody SEV6 Auto 4x4. 95 frame. 2" suspension lift ARB springs Calmini UCA/shackles SwayAway T-bars. 2" body lift. Custom exhaust with magnaflow. 33x12.5R15 DC MC Tires on 15x10 Ultra 50/51 aluminum wheels. Custom bed, sliders, and bumpers coming soon!
66 Patrol.... it's orange...

ddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
subzero9935 Wrote:ddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Are you cold or something? 179

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Titan/ Armade Rear Brakes WhistlerWzrd 2 2,950 08-26-2007, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Newman