Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My 'new' Hardbody!
The CreamSicle is gonna be sweet! You guys crack me up. Hurry up Eglasi... Cant wait... Now I want one for a project... Thanks... 165 171
[Image: sigph.jpg]
Eric! Say something! 187
[Image: 5260151.jpeg]
Well, not too much new since I left... the truck is sittin under cover for the time being while I figure out when I can start pulling stuff out. I've been thinking of a color to paint it and I'm now thinking back to painting it white... pearl metallic white. Similar color to those Cadillac tri-stage off white colors that they paint some cars, but with lots of metallic in it. Also, just base/clearcoat... no 3stage for this truck. 192

While in Hawaii, I came across a really nice Hardbody (actually several, but only took pic of this one)...

I'm guessing it's got the 4" Trailmaster lift in it, along with a 3" body lift. I love how high it is and how the LCA's sit pretty flat compared to some lifts. If it was my truck, it'd have bigger tires than 31x12.5 with that much lift in it.

I'm really considering getting this lift, it's a bit pricey though at just over $1000.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

06 NISMO - 2" PRG spacer/deaver - Banks Power - Cooper STT's on Pathfinder wheels - PIAA's
06 Titan - 2" PRG spacer/blocks - Banks Power - Volant - 33" Toyos - Carriage works grille - Bully dog tuner
91 Hardbody SEV6 Auto 4x4. 95 frame. 2" suspension lift ARB springs Calmini UCA/shackles SwayAway T-bars. 2" body lift. Custom exhaust with magnaflow. 33x12.5R15 DC MC Tires on 15x10 Ultra 50/51 aluminum wheels. Custom bed, sliders, and bumpers coming soon!
66 Patrol.... it's orange...

I feel your hardbody will be pretty...metallic white ....I voted
WhistlerWzrd Wrote:Nice work Eric, BTW, the Wzrd has decided to look for a similar vintage truck and morph the old '91 together with the late 90'1 1st gen as a project truck.
WW

Sounds fun, what's wrong with the 91?
06 NISMO - 2" PRG spacer/deaver - Banks Power - Cooper STT's on Pathfinder wheels - PIAA's
06 Titan - 2" PRG spacer/blocks - Banks Power - Volant - 33" Toyos - Carriage works grille - Bully dog tuner
91 Hardbody SEV6 Auto 4x4. 95 frame. 2" suspension lift ARB springs Calmini UCA/shackles SwayAway T-bars. 2" body lift. Custom exhaust with magnaflow. 33x12.5R15 DC MC Tires on 15x10 Ultra 50/51 aluminum wheels. Custom bed, sliders, and bumpers coming soon!

eglaisi Wrote:As for color, I might just end up doing a flat job.

remember this?
carphreak Wrote:why are you guys still trying to decide the color? i have already suggested flat red with black graphics. i even included a pic of how kick arse that would be. carphreak has spoken. so shall it be done. 191

hmmm like i have been trying to tell you do a flat color and just add a vinyl graphic to spice it up more. or hide some cratches you may get during wheeling.

oh and by the way, looking back at previous posts i do have to say you have major skills in paint!!!! 185
"it does not matter who started the thread, at the end of the day i will be it's last poster...."
[Image: carph3.jpg]
Well, deciding color is a process... a long, grueling, stinking process. I pretty much have to go over every single color in my head and imagine what the end result will be. You should see the color map books we have at work, off hand I'd say there's at least 1000 pages of metallics, and probably 600/700 solids.

When I painted my 240, the plan up until 10 minutes was to paint it dark blue, dark enough that it looks like black unless it was high noon and the sun was shining right on it. Well.... I changed my mind and sprayed it this:

[Image: P1000585.jpg]

I pretty much 'decide' on a color and think about it for a bit. In that time I consider, roll bar color, colors for the bumpers, if it's gonna have chrome or black mirrors/handles, the trim around the windshield, wondering if the engine bay will match (its purple right now 172 ), if it's gonna have a chrome grille or black grille. So, color is subject to change without notice and for any arbitrary reason! 182

this is a cool thread to follow! 207 185
05 Nissan Frontier 4x4, Stillen SuperCharger, BFG AT's Tongue
I chose white because it hides dirt and imperfections better than any other color. With the condition my body was in, there were bound to be some missed blemishes.
I decided on flame graphics to further hide any overlooked irregularities.

All of this was decided 2 1/2 years before it got painted.
Either my plan worked, or it came out smoother than I anticipated. 164

A glossy finish will tend to show scratches, but at least they can be buffed out. I don't think you can do that with a dull finish.
I keep a good coat of wax on my paint. It reduces the scratches and the amount of mud that sticks to it. A quick rub with DuPont polishing compound takes out any brush scratches that do show up.
Since you have to fix the rear portion of the cab, you could turn lemons into lemonade by grafting the rear section of another KC cab onto yours, then shortening the bed. It would give you two tip-out windows per side, tons of interior room, and a truly unique rig.
Yikes, I have enough work as it is now! 199

Also I figure I want to relocate the tailgate handle to the inside and shave the outside smooth. Might airbrush something on the outside, we'll see how good I am doing graphics on skateboards first.

Res, I think the end result is going to be dangerously close to your truck. Not trying to copy yours, it just seems like we have similar tastes. I like the simplicity of white, plus some pearls and metallics to class it up a bit:

[Image: DSC06089.JPG]

I really wanted to pearl and clear mine, but I wanted to be able to do spot repairs if needed. Only the flames are clear coated. The rest is single stage.

Hey, I don't have a patent on white. 164
I say yellow with white, orange, and red flames.
06 nismo CC 4X4: SOLD and replaced with 2017 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon; Teraflex 3" lift, 315/70-17 Cooper STT PRO tires on Fuel Trophy wheels, JCR bumpers front and rear w/Warn 9.5cti winch in front, Ace sliders, GraBars, Weathertech window deflectors and floor liners
98 Jeep Wrangler in the garage, 2" lift, 33X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Locks, Pioneer/MTX/RF P3 Sound, Borla Header w/Flowmaster
63 and 67 Nissan Patrols (under construction)
This would be cool, but white pearl met. with candy blue stripes:

[Image: 1965ShelbyGT350White.jpg]

Pearls aren't terribly hard to do spot repairs. If I have to paint a spot, I would have to paint the whole panel anyway to blend it out. Plus, I'll have the exact formula, so matching the pearl would be too much of a trouble. I could always just paint the whole side again! Gotta love the perks of working at a body+paint shop 165

more inspiration!
not the color, the rocks!!! 202
[attachment=0]
BTW I like better the mud 164

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I've seen that truck before. Like you, I also like the mud better than rocks. Unless I twin the t-case or get crawler gears, no rock crawlin for me! Actually, I guess no drivin for me just yet 204

On the upside, I found a source for a fender and door, $100 for both. Saturday I'll take a drive and pull them.

Mkay, no progress. Didn't go to the junkers since I had to work last Sat, so I didn't get anything. However, I've been throwing around the idea of a new (used) cab. It's a bit more work, but I think it'd be better in the long run. If I took the cab off to switch, I could sandblast the frame, epoxy and undercoat it and it will last for a very long time (the frames get eaten up pretty fast up here).

More things to think about! 261

eglaisi Wrote:If I took the cab off to switch, I could sandblast the frame, epoxy and undercoat it and it will last for a very long time (the frames get eaten up pretty fast up here).
Salt from snowy roads or Pacific Ocean environment? Or both?
06 nismo CC 4X4: SOLD and replaced with 2017 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon; Teraflex 3" lift, 315/70-17 Cooper STT PRO tires on Fuel Trophy wheels, JCR bumpers front and rear w/Warn 9.5cti winch in front, Ace sliders, GraBars, Weathertech window deflectors and floor liners
98 Jeep Wrangler in the garage, 2" lift, 33X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Locks, Pioneer/MTX/RF P3 Sound, Borla Header w/Flowmaster
Both. I'm really trying to keep the Fronty nice and clean underneath. I usually wash the undercarriage at the car wash at least once a week to get the salt off in the winter, I spray in the holes of the frame. Every once and a while (seems to be every service) I spray inside the frame with wax oil as much as I can, and recoat the outside with rubberized undercoating. I'm hoping it will last me a long time.

Sweet bro, good project truck.
IslandNismo
[Image: IslandNismochop.jpg] [Image: 8a594fdb.gif]
M'kay, not much going on since it's under like 2ft of snow right now.... but I sourced a decent enough cab. The truck was in a front end collision, but the cab looks alright, a couple dents at the back but alot better than mine. He says (in the email to me) "I took extra profile pics of the damage to the bed/cab to help you. I'm keeping this truck for myself thinking that I may cut the rear window out and wander into "Nissan 4Runner" territory. But she's free to good home if you see fit.".........

165 You read it right, it's free if I want it! (I think).

Catch is....... it's a regular cab 183 But I'm thinking of sticking a toolbox or something between the cab and the box.... either that or shorten the wheelbase.....

eglaisi Wrote:M'kay, not much going on since it's under like 2ft of snow right now.... but I sourced a decent enough cab. The truck was in a front end collision, but the cab looks alright, a couple dents at the back but alot better than mine. He says (in the email to me) "I took extra profile pics of the damage to the bed/cab to help you. I'm keeping this truck for myself thinking that I may cut the rear window out and wander into "Nissan 4Runner" territory. But she's free to good home if you see fit.".........

165 You read it right, it's free if I want it! (I think).

Catch is....... it's a regular cab 183 But I'm thinking of sticking a toolbox or something between the cab and the box.... either that or shorten the wheelbase.....
Flatbed with storage boxes and spare tire mount!
It's almost 300 miles one way from where I am, and can't be driven. The Titan would tow it plus a trailer no problem, heck so could the Fronty I bet... but I don;t know if I can get a couple days off this soon after Xmas/New Years holiday. 172 This is our busy time of the year too.

[Image: 100_0127.jpg]

[Image: 100_0123.jpg]

Sandi come get this before I do!!!! 165

Don't know about the front, but the back doesn't look that bad.