Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My 'new' Hardbody!
Stay away from dark high gloss finishes on an old vehicle, unless you are going to spend many hours block sanding to make sure everything is straight. I like the flat color idea, even adding some kind of graphics to break it up.
06 nismo CC 4X4: SOLD and replaced with 2017 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon; Teraflex 3" lift, 315/70-17 Cooper STT PRO tires on Fuel Trophy wheels, JCR bumpers front and rear w/Warn 9.5cti winch in front, Ace sliders, GraBars, Weathertech window deflectors and floor liners
98 Jeep Wrangler in the garage, 2" lift, 33X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Locks, Pioneer/MTX/RF P3 Sound, Borla Header w/Flowmaster
63 and 67 Nissan Patrols (under construction)
The deal was I get the truck plus $3000. Which basically means I got $3500 for the Pathfinder. I'd say I did alright, since the Pathfinder wasn't selling anyway, and I guy emailed me about it a day after I sold it and offered $3000 for it, which I probably would've taken.

I'm planning to put alot of hours into this build. I'm not going to rush it like I did when I fixed my 240sx. The plan is for the to be a bush truck, not a show truck. It's going to get scratched and dented after I paint it anyway. I know black is the worst color for hiding imperfections, but that's kind of a motivator to do a really nice job.
06 NISMO - 2" PRG spacer/deaver - Banks Power - Cooper STT's on Pathfinder wheels - PIAA's
06 Titan - 2" PRG spacer/blocks - Banks Power - Volant - 33" Toyos - Carriage works grille - Bully dog tuner
91 Hardbody SEV6 Auto 4x4. 95 frame. 2" suspension lift ARB springs Calmini UCA/shackles SwayAway T-bars. 2" body lift. Custom exhaust with magnaflow. 33x12.5R15 DC MC Tires on 15x10 Ultra 50/51 aluminum wheels. Custom bed, sliders, and bumpers coming soon!
66 Patrol.... it's orange...

Runs like a top! No more check engine light and purrs like a kitten at idle. Next on the list, take out the interior trim pieces and get ready for some straightening!
06 NISMO - 2" PRG spacer/deaver - Banks Power - Cooper STT's on Pathfinder wheels - PIAA's
06 Titan - 2" PRG spacer/blocks - Banks Power - Volant - 33" Toyos - Carriage works grille - Bully dog tuner
91 Hardbody SEV6 Auto 4x4. 95 frame. 2" suspension lift ARB springs Calmini UCA/shackles SwayAway T-bars. 2" body lift. Custom exhaust with magnaflow. 33x12.5R15 DC MC Tires on 15x10 Ultra 50/51 aluminum wheels. Custom bed, sliders, and bumpers coming soon!

wow that is a good deal. don't forget to include pics on how you straighten the body!
"it does not matter who started the thread, at the end of the day i will be it's last poster...."
[Image: carph3.jpg]
What's the story on how the roof got crushed in?
eglaisi Wrote:The last owner (who I bought it from) rolled it while speeding offroad. Took a hard hit on the rear cab corner and door. Good thing it had a rollbar on it, saved the box and probably the guy's life. Sat on it's side for 4 hours, they tipped it back over; started it up and drove away. Only leaked a little PS fluid, but no engine oil.

I think this part of the first part of the tread should cover Res' question.
Pics! please make it when you can..I love this truck. Like a veteran soldier..
[Image: 5260151.jpeg]
I plan on doing lots of work this weekend, gutting inside, taking out windows, taking off rollbar, maybe back bumper. We'll see. I won't forget my camera!

LilRedExpress Wrote:
eglaisi Wrote:The last owner (who I bought it from) rolled it while speeding offroad. Took a hard hit on the rear cab corner and door. Good thing it had a rollbar on it, saved the box and probably the guy's life. Sat on it's side for 4 hours, they tipped it back over; started it up and drove away. Only leaked a little PS fluid, but no engine oil.

I think this part of the first part of the tread should cover Res' question.

Doh! 174 Thanks for pulling my head out of my butt.
Wow, I am really liking this color:

[Image: 2008-Subaru-Impreza-WRX-STI-Black-F.jpg]

Reserector Wrote:Doh! 174 Thanks for pulling my head out of my butt.

You are welcome, but please go shower off the fake tan! 165
I hope the truck will be ready soon. I need to nominate to the TOM. 165 Again and again...lol
This one won't be ready for a while balage. I'm going to take my time with it and do everything right. I got lot's to do; make a front bumper; relocate ECU; take box off and recoat underneath it and the frame; waterproof dist cap; upgrade to a larger alternator; add some PIAAs; get a winch; bedliner the inside of the box and the floorboards in the cab...

Oh yeah, and fix the little dent on the roof! 185

eglaisi Wrote:Wow, I am really liking this color:

[Image: 2008-Subaru-Impreza-WRX-STI-Black-F.jpg]

That is a very nice color!

I love seeing your projects. 164
05 Nissan Frontier 4x4, Stillen SuperCharger, BFG AT's Tongue
Well all the interior is gone except dash, and I need to drive it so I put the seats in too. I got the roof out a bit. Now I'm going to pick up some oil and a filter, some thick plastic and duct tape to cover the empty window holes. Oh, and some gas too, it's running on E.[Image: 104_0279.jpg]

Look! I'm making money already on this build... (that's $4.02 to you Canadian currency challenged people)[Image: 104_0281.jpg]

It will be hard work..
hah the dollar in middle of the pic....like our 100 hungarian forints[attachment=0]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

that one is actually a "toonie". Worth 2 dollars.

[Image: toonie.jpg]

eglaisi Wrote:that one is actually a "toonie". Worth 2 dollars.

[Image: toonie.jpg]
Ok it's not similar...100 HunFt=0,58 Canadian dollar 165
Back to hardbody 164

Okay, so I discovered that the alternator is on it's way out, so what better time to do a swap? Just gotta source a Quest alty. The engine seems to be missing a little too, puffs a smoke ring every so often. I think I found the cause of that though, I was pushing down the spark plug wires to make sure they were all connected and didn't come loose after the rollover. Sure enough, when I got to the last one, it gave me a damn good jolt. Not quite what I expected, but it gave me an answer. So the next step is replace the wires, luckily my dad kept his stock plug wires off his 93 HB when he sold it in 2000.

Messed around with some bumper ideas... here's one option:

[Image: concept.jpg]

Yes I know, I have some mad skillz in MSpaint!

Main bumper piece will be rectangular square tubing either 2x3 or 2x4. The angled pieces going down off the bumper will be round tubing. The gussets in the corners of where the tubing meets are dual purpose; to add strength and to house the turn signals (we must be legal). PIAA foglights are nestled tightly in, protected at all angles by the round tubing. The square in the middle of the bumper is a 2" receiver that will in time hold a winch if need be. When not using a winch, the license plate covers the receiver, making a clean finish. A skidplate is added from the bottom of the bumper to the front crossmember.

Thoughts?

Damn good job for paint! I thought it was a hummer at first though with all that space between the seats!

I can't really pisture the bumper the way you said it, but the stealth idea for the receiver sounds cool. Just use one of the plate flaps that is for the gas tank on some of the 70s cars so it will fold down, but still be attached, when needed.
Receiver hitch on front not so good for angle of attack. Ask Res.
06 nismo CC 4X4: SOLD and replaced with 2017 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon; Teraflex 3" lift, 315/70-17 Cooper STT PRO tires on Fuel Trophy wheels, JCR bumpers front and rear w/Warn 9.5cti winch in front, Ace sliders, GraBars, Weathertech window deflectors and floor liners
98 Jeep Wrangler in the garage, 2" lift, 33X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Locks, Pioneer/MTX/RF P3 Sound, Borla Header w/Flowmaster
63 and 67 Nissan Patrols (under construction)
LilRedExpress Wrote:Damn good job for paint! I thought it was a hummer at first though with all that space between the seats!

I can't really pisture the bumper the way you said it, but the stealth idea for the receiver sounds cool. Just use one of the plate flaps that is for the gas tank on some of the 70s cars so it will fold down, but still be attached, when needed.

Yeah, I made the whole thing a bit too wide.

Good idea about the license plate, I'll look into that.

This is similar to the look I want:

[Image: r08ill1r1tpo1eooo.jpg]

But picture rectangular tubing for the top piece instead of round tubing.

mdawg4x4 Wrote:Receiver hitch on front not so good for angle of attack. Ask Res.

How so? I think if it's braced well enough on the inside, it should be fine.

Mdawg is razzing me about a time when I got stuck because the winch (mounted to my front receiver) dug in. My receiver is nearly flush with my bumper, so it is not a problem.

You can still buy flip-down licence plate brackets. Try JC Whitney or Summit.
So I sat on a milk crate and stared at the truck (the 'good' side) for a bit thinking what I want it to turn out like. I'm leaning towards the flat dark green color like it already is, but done properly of course. I think it would look pretty good like that, with the black wheels and black rollbar. Even the chrome front end looks alright with it.