Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ignition Switch and Keys
Is anyone having any trouble with their ignition switch and keys? Last year I stuck my key in my ignition 2013 Frontier and could not turn the key. After several attempts of removing the key and then reinserting I finally was able to turn key. I examined the key and it was all chewed up. Well it got worse and one day I was stranded, could not turn key, and had truck towed to dealership. They replaced my ignition switch, re-keyed both the passenger door and bed locks, and made me two new keys. It hasn't even been a year and it happened to me over the weekend again...could not turn key but finally got it to turn. Examined key and it is all chewed up again. Called dealer and I have an appointment this coming Saturday. He said it could be a defective ignition switch that they installed. My key chain is NOT overloaded with a bunch of heavy keys either. They are a good dealership as they have taken care of things for me in the past that were out of warranty like a big one....replacing and covering my entire rear end when it was 10k miles out of warranty. Service manager is dumb-fasted but he said they would surely take a look at it and do whatever it takes to resolve. Any ideas? Thanks all!
Wow...

Havent heard of such a case before..
My first thought was overloaded keychain.. but as u said not the case..

Maybe something misaligned inside thats putting pressure on the key?

On previous Nissan I would on (rare) occasion have trouble pulling out akey but a quick wiggle of the steering wheel would always address it.
First I've heard of this also, but it does sound like the ignition switch is causing the problem.
06 nismo CC 4X4: SOLD and replaced with 2017 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon; Teraflex 3" lift, 315/70-17 Cooper STT PRO tires on Fuel Trophy wheels, JCR bumpers front and rear w/Warn 9.5cti winch in front, Ace sliders, GraBars, Weathertech window deflectors and floor liners
98 Jeep Wrangler in the garage, 2" lift, 33X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Locks, Pioneer/MTX/RF P3 Sound, Borla Header w/Flowmaster
63 and 67 Nissan Patrols (under construction)
(02-21-2017, 01:26 PM)mdawg4x4 Wrote:  First I've heard of this also, but it does sound like the ignition switch is causing the problem.

Well my guess would be the ignition switch also, but two bad switches is hard to believe...especially after they replaced one already. But really, it doesn't seem that it could be anything else.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ignition Key Chewed Up jkon 2 4,230 04-09-2016, 09:30 PM
Last Post: Shift_Avenger
  key ignition reminder brandon_11o8 1 3,804 03-06-2014, 12:55 PM
Last Post: mdawg4x4
  Pathfinder switch covers and All Season OEM mats **56k warni Shift_Avenger 14 10,068 09-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Last Post: Shift_Avenger