Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clunking Noise
Purchased new 2013 Frontier SV with 69k miles. Every now and then while driving I here a clunking noise when I let off the gas pedal. The clunk seems to be coming from the drive shaft maybe or rear end? It doesn't always do it but I do notice it more when say going up an incline and then letting off the gas. Despite this, the truck runs and drives good. Any ideas? Concerns? Thanks all.
My 1st guess would be u-joint.
06 nismo CC 4X4: SOLD and replaced with 2017 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon; Teraflex 3" lift, 315/70-17 Cooper STT PRO tires on Fuel Trophy wheels, JCR bumpers front and rear w/Warn 9.5cti winch in front, Ace sliders, GraBars, Weathertech window deflectors and floor liners
98 Jeep Wrangler in the garage, 2" lift, 33X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Locks, Pioneer/MTX/RF P3 Sound, Borla Header w/Flowmaster
63 and 67 Nissan Patrols (under construction)
Along with the clunk noise I also get a medium pitched whine that sounds like it is coming from the rear end while driving on the highway. The whine varies in sync as I vary the speed of the truck with the gas pedal. Hope the rear end isn't going.
Manual tranny or auto. Had an 89 Hardbdy with a manual that whined when the tranny bearings needed replacing. The whine varied with rpm.
06 nismo CC 4X4: SOLD and replaced with 2017 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon; Teraflex 3" lift, 315/70-17 Cooper STT PRO tires on Fuel Trophy wheels, JCR bumpers front and rear w/Warn 9.5cti winch in front, Ace sliders, GraBars, Weathertech window deflectors and floor liners
98 Jeep Wrangler in the garage, 2" lift, 33X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Locks, Pioneer/MTX/RF P3 Sound, Borla Header w/Flowmaster
Last month I had the truck to the dealer to fix a leak at rear differential gasket/seal. Dealer said the differential seal let go because my axle air vent failed. They replaced the air vent, changed the rear end fluid and resealed the cover. Hope it didn't cause any further damage because I read on forums that rear axle bearings, seals, etc. could be damaged from pressure and heat build-up due to a air vent failure.

I have an appointment at the dealer on Friday.
I ran an extended line up to a simple fuel filter and tied it behind he tail light. Sill had to have my rear axle seals replaced at 100K miles.
Can anyone tell me if performing periodic maintenance on the rear axle vent is included anywhere in the service[Image: icon1.png] manual or owner's manual? I looked and cannot find anything. Reason I ask is of course is my vent failed and dealership said they always check it when one brings their truck[Image: icon1.png] in for maintenance. If I would have known about it, I definitely would have checked it every time I changed my own oil[Image: icon1.png]. Thanks
Sounds fishy to me. How does one check it? Take it out and blow on it to see if it is stopped up?
Well took the truck up to the dealer this past Friday. Not good news. They definitely heard the clunking noise and the medium pitched whine coming from the rear end. It's not the u-joints. They say it's my rear end gone bad. Said it shouldn't be happening with only 70k miles. Uhhh yaaa! I asked what a new rear end installed would be...2k$ Ugh... he said more than that. Anyway...the service director was not there. They said he will be in touch with me today Monday. They are going to try to see if Nissan will cover under warranty. Does anyone know how much $$ a new rear end installed would be? I'll tell you what...If Nissan doesn't cover this then this will definitely be the last Nissan vehicle or product that I will ever purchase.
Just heard back from dealer. Nissan is going to cover it in full. I am delighted. Thanks.
Congrats!
I have not had any luck getting anything covered, fuel sending unit at 51K miles, timing chain and tensioners at 71K miles, front hubs, u-joints twice, rear axle bearings, rear axle shaft, paint pealing at 70K miles, and I work for Nissan. I have had vibrations since ~35K miles, and after the bearings front and rear and finding the left rear axle shaft bent, I still have bad vibrations.
As soon as my daughter's Xterra is paid off, I'm trading my truck in on a new Jeep. I have had very few issues with my 98 Jeep I bought new in 1998.
Are you kidding??? What kind of work do you do for Nissan? I must admit the dealer where I purchased my truck really has taken care of me in the past and continues to do so.
Process Engineer at the Canton factory.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Annoying Noise Brand New Frontier jkon 2 1,346 06-07-2018, 12:24 PM
Last Post: mdawg4x4
  Truck would not start - clicking noise Shift_Avenger 2 5,137 10-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Last Post: Shift_Avenger
  VQ40 engine; buzzing /whining noise from timing chain area greybrick 11 24,940 04-21-2008, 09:41 PM
Last Post: EB_05_NISMO