Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Review Level III Container System Jerry Cans

This is my review of the 5 gallon (20L) Level III Container Group Jerry Can.
I did a lot of research before I bought, because I only wanted a high quality unit.
I knew I may mount them on my roof rack SHTF and I didnt want gas to be leaking onto the truck.
I had some bad experiences with the red plastic cans before and i knew I wanted something much more high end, after all if I ever used these cans at thta time the gas would likely be as valuable as Gold.

After some research I got the Level III Container group Jerry Cans.
They are $50 each and you can get them in colors other than red.

I ordered in green for a little bit of discreetness and more difficulty of spotting the cans at distance in case I have to handle them post-SHTF.
They are a bit darker than they look in most of the pics, due to flash but the one where i stand on them shows the color pretty well.

They arrived quickly about 6 weeks ago.
On first inspection they look excellent.
Made in Europe (Latvia) the welds as you can see from the pics are perfect.
They are also the ticker steel compared to the NATO “style” cans you buy elsewhere, and feel/look like the heavy cans I remember from my time as a young enlisted man.
If anything they feel /stronger/better , kinda like a car fuel tank.

The latch system is also very solid
First I added half a bottle of STABIL to each can, which is plenty.
Then I filled it with premium 93 Octane.

Even though my Truck needs only 87, this was a hedge against partial degeneration of the fuel as I intend to store it for a while, I expect this fuel to be good (at least by 87 Octane standard) for years to come assuming the cans dont leak the thinner fuel fractions evaporate out.

So I went for a premium brand of gas (Amoco) and got the 93 Octane.

I took great care not to spill any gas on the outside of the can to make it easier for me to detect any leaks.

I put it in the truck in the passenger compartment with all windows closed. Smelled nothing.
Brought it home stood on the full cans (I weigh 225lbs) laying on their side and afterwards sniffed around the caps for any leaking.
Smelled no gas at all!

Nice looking cans. I always worry about the fuel vapors getting out when the cans expand due to increase in temperature. However, if they didn't leak fumes when you stood on them, they may not when they get hot.
If all else fails, you could use them for snow shoes! Smile
06 nismo CC 4X4: SOLD and replaced with 2017 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon; Teraflex 3" lift, 315/70-17 Cooper STT PRO tires on Fuel Trophy wheels, JCR bumpers front and rear w/Warn 9.5cti winch in front, Ace sliders, GraBars, Weathertech window deflectors and floor liners
98 Jeep Wrangler in the garage, 2" lift, 33X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Locks, Pioneer/MTX/RF P3 Sound, Borla Header w/Flowmaster
63 and 67 Nissan Patrols (under construction)
(04-20-2015, 05:10 PM)mdawg4x4 Wrote:  Nice looking cans. I always worry about the fuel vapors getting out when the cans expand due to increase in temperature. However, if they didn't leak fumes when you stood on them, they may not when they get hot.
If all else fails, you could use them for snow shoes! Smile

Just ordered another can Smile
I guess that means they are working OK for you. Where did you decide to put them and how are you restraining them.
06 nismo CC 4X4: SOLD and replaced with 2017 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon; Teraflex 3" lift, 315/70-17 Cooper STT PRO tires on Fuel Trophy wheels, JCR bumpers front and rear w/Warn 9.5cti winch in front, Ace sliders, GraBars, Weathertech window deflectors and floor liners
98 Jeep Wrangler in the garage, 2" lift, 33X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Locks, Pioneer/MTX/RF P3 Sound, Borla Header w/Flowmaster
63 and 67 Nissan Patrols (under construction)
Just got a 3rd of these cans Smile
They are not in the truck right now.
SHTF I might mount one of the roof (not 2 since I dont want to put too much weight up there, concerned about COG)
I also have tons of quality bungees in my truck at all times and will use the rack system w/ mounts to tire down under the hatch.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  300,000 mile Frontier Review! BlueZ 1 294 11-02-2018, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Shift_Avenger
  My review of the SUV version of the Frontier BlueZ 3 5,508 04-18-2015, 09:26 PM
Last Post: BlueZ
  How do you make your system look clean alton 1 3,591 03-05-2010, 03:22 PM
Last Post: Firebreed
  Mr. Clean AutoDry Car Wash System BLWedge09 6 5,360 07-03-2009, 01:16 AM
Last Post: mdawg4x4
  V8 Pathfinder review krh2 6 5,618 02-27-2008, 01:56 PM
Last Post: gfronty