Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More than 2 degree possible?
Hello All,
Can more HP & Torque be gained by advancing the timing more than 2 degrees?
What ballpark HP gains can one expect from a aftermarket exhaust system?
I do understand some low end torque is sacrificed with a more free flow exhaust system.
Thanks,
Matt
I like manual transmissions better than automatics because I like to drive rather than be driven288
(08-18-2014, 02:49 PM)usafang67 Wrote:  Hello All,
I do understand some low end torque is sacrificed with a more free flow exhaust system.
Thanks,
Matt

Can't speak to the timing issue. A few years ago I did extensive dyno testing on my 2005 Frontier 4.0, including a Gibson stainless cat-back system. The exhaust added 5-6 peak HP and 5-6 ft-lbs torque, mostly in the upper end of the range. My current truck is a 2012 Frontier SV and I left the exhaust stock; the small power gain just wasn't worth the money. If you want more noise, just change the muffler. To see my article on the dyno testing, click here.
jack <><
2012 Crew Cab SV
http://www.reverendbiker.com
Everything I've read says 2 degrees advance is where you'll top out in gains.
While I have a NISMO CAI and swapped a Flowmster 40 in place of the stock muffler, I cannot say I have noticed any performance gains. Sounds good under acceleration, but the drone around 2200-2500 rpm is annoying.
Maybe, in addition to the 2 degrees, CAI, headers, and getting rid of the crushed together Y-Pipe may help.
I can say you will lose power when adding 285/75-16 E Range tires.
06 nismo CC 4X4: SOLD and replaced with 2017 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon; Teraflex 3" lift, 315/70-17 Cooper STT PRO tires on Fuel Trophy wheels, JCR bumpers front and rear w/Warn 9.5cti winch in front, Ace sliders, GraBars, Weathertech window deflectors and floor liners
98 Jeep Wrangler in the garage, 2" lift, 33X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Locks, Pioneer/MTX/RF P3 Sound, Borla Header w/Flowmaster
63 and 67 Nissan Patrols (under construction)
Intake, exhaust bolt ons got me to 227 hp at the wheels. 10.01 1/8 mile. Cortex programmer got me sub 10 on the 1/8 with larger tires also.
[Image: 3gears.gif]06 CC 4X2 6sp Avalanche White NISMO SPORT[Image: drive.gif]
[Image: 43d20b1b.jpg]
Click on the picture for my Frontier thread
(08-19-2014, 06:07 AM)reverendbiker Wrote:  
(08-18-2014, 02:49 PM)usafang67 Wrote:  Hello All,
Thanks,
Matt

Can't speak to the timing issue. A few years ago I did extensive dyno testing on my 2005 Frontier 4.0, including a Gibson stainless cat-back system. The exhaust added 5-6 peak HP and 5-6 ft-lbs torque, mostly in the upper end of the range. My current truck is a 2012 Frontier SV and I left the exhaust stock; the small power gain just wasn't worth the money. If you want more noise, just change the muffler. To see my article on the dyno testing, click here.

Great site! Thanks for sharing.

(08-19-2014, 06:30 PM)Shift_Avenger Wrote:  Intake, exhaust bolt ons got me to 227 hp at the wheels. 10.01 1/8 mile. Cortex programmer got me sub 10 on the 1/8 with larger tires also.

Awesome numbers! I have the Cortex programmer installed and it sure makes it come alive.

(08-19-2014, 11:46 AM)mdawg4x4 Wrote:  Everything I've read says 2 degrees advance is where you'll top out in gains.
While I have a NISMO CAI and swapped a Flowmster 40 in place of the stock muffler, I cannot say I have noticed any performance gains. Sounds good under acceleration, but the drone around 2200-2500 rpm is annoying.
Maybe, in addition to the 2 degrees, CAI, headers, and getting rid of the crushed together Y-Pipe may help.
I can say you will lose power when adding 285/75-16 E Range tires.

"Maybe, in addition to the 2 degrees, CAI, headers, and getting rid of the crushed together Y-Pipe may help".

Have read mixed results on doing an exhaust upgrade.
I like manual transmissions better than automatics because I like to drive rather than be driven288
It really depends on how much you want to spend. 5k will get you a supercharger that will take you to around 300-315 at the wheels.
Normally aspirated you will have to add little by little to get 4-10 extra horses per mod.
Throttle body spacer - cool sound, maybe 1 to 2 HP
CAI - 4-10 depending on setup
Exhaust - without the CAI do not bother, truck need to breath better so that it can take advantage of the exhaust.
Gutting the catalytics - 4-6HP at best
Polishing heads - Probably another 5 to 10 HP
At this point you will not be able to transfer the power without spinning the wheels so you need:
Better stickier tires
Locker for the rear wheels so that both pull at the same time ( TruTrac is what most people like )
Jim Wolf Tech Clutch and Flywheel because you will burn up the stock clutch
[Image: 3gears.gif]06 CC 4X2 6sp Avalanche White NISMO SPORT[Image: drive.gif]
[Image: 43d20b1b.jpg]
Click on the picture for my Frontier thread
(08-19-2014, 09:15 PM)Shift_Avenger Wrote:  It really depends on how much you want to spend. 5k will get you a supercharger that will take you to around 300-315 at the wheels.
Normally aspirated you will have to add little by little to get 4-10 extra horses per mod.
Throttle body spacer - cool sound, maybe 1 to 2 HP
CAI - 4-10 depending on setup
Exhaust - without the CAI do not bother, truck need to breath better so that it can take advantage of the exhaust.
Gutting the catalytics - 4-6HP at best
Polishing heads - Probably another 5 to 10 HP
At this point you will not be able to transfer the power without spinning the wheels so you need:
Better stickier tires
Locker for the rear wheels so that both pull at the same time ( TruTrac is what most people like )
Jim Wolf Tech Clutch and Flywheel because you will burn up the stock clutch

300 HP would be just about right to the rear wheels. Big Grin
But as you stated if ya can't hook up all these ponies it's all for not.
Advancing the timing is an old trick that can give you some hp gain, but doing it incorrectly can damage the engine.