Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SuperChips Cortex 4950
So I finally decided to get a programmer for the truck. I read reviews, looked at prices and features. After lots of research and after finding a great deal on a used unit I bought a SuperChips Cortex 4950 (Nissan application).

I registered it as soon as I got it and downloaded the newest maps. Programming was a breeze.

Initial impression, WOW.
[Image: 3gears.gif]06 CC 4X2 6sp Avalanche White NISMO SPORT[Image: drive.gif]
[Image: 43d20b1b.jpg]
Click on the picture for my Frontier thread
So it looks like I am going to need stickier tires for the truck. I cannot keep them from spinning even in third gear. I am going to burn through gas!!! and rubber [Image: 3gears.gif]
(01-31-2012, 10:52 AM)Shift_Avenger Wrote:  So I finally decided to get a programmer for the truck. I read reviews, looked at prices and features. After lots of research and after finding a great deal on a used unit I bought a SuperChips Cortex 4950 (Nissan application).

I registered it as soon as I got it and downloaded the newest maps. Programming was a breeze.

Initial impression, WOW.

MORE INFO! What tunes are you using?

jack <><
2012 Crew Cab SV
http://www.reverendbiker.com
So far I filled the tank with 93 and are using it through this tank I cannot get access to 91 so I will skip that tune. I will definitely try the 89.
I will have to put it on my list. Let me know if you gain mileage with any of the tunes you try.
06 nismo CC 4X4: SOLD and replaced with 2017 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon; Teraflex 3" lift, 315/70-17 Cooper STT PRO tires on Fuel Trophy wheels, JCR bumpers front and rear w/Warn 9.5cti winch in front, Ace sliders, GraBars, Weathertech window deflectors and floor liners
98 Jeep Wrangler in the garage, 2" lift, 33X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Locks, Pioneer/MTX/RF P3 Sound, Borla Header w/Flowmaster
63 and 67 Nissan Patrols (under construction)
One thing I noticed is that it kicks the e-fan more frequently. I can track the engine and intake temperature. Before the tuner I would see the temp needle fluctuate, now it stays put, engine temp running at about 220 steady. Intake temp does fluctuate significantly depending on how fast I am driving.
I will let you know about gas mileage when I go through the tanks. I use a tank about once a week. My gas mileage is going t be bad this time, tooooo much fun pressing the skinny pedal Smile the 93 tune is addictive.
(01-31-2012, 11:05 PM)Shift_Avenger Wrote:  My gas mileage is going t be bad this time, tooooo much fun pressing the skinny pedal Smile the 93 tune is addictive.

I am afraid that is how mine would stay! Cool

06 nismo CC 4X4: SOLD and replaced with 2017 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon; Teraflex 3" lift, 315/70-17 Cooper STT PRO tires on Fuel Trophy wheels, JCR bumpers front and rear w/Warn 9.5cti winch in front, Ace sliders, GraBars, Weathertech window deflectors and floor liners
98 Jeep Wrangler in the garage, 2" lift, 33X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Locks, Pioneer/MTX/RF P3 Sound, Borla Header w/Flowmaster
After a few days I think the truck computer has adjusted to the new tune. Acceleration is smooth and strong. I was able to test through 3 gears and WOW, it sounds great. Since I was able to keep track of the engine temperature I noticed that the coolant was a bit low. Temps have stayed below 200 after topping off the coolant.

I will update again after the tank is empty on MPG.
I've had mine set on 87 for quite a while. The biggest incentive for me is the wide open throttle restriction elimination. I've never tried but I doubt my wheels will chirp in 3rd. I have 50# MT tires on right now, plan on getting 44# AT tires sometime in the spring, maybe then I'll be able to chirp in 3rd.
07 SE KC 4x4 6M M226 3.538 10"R/10"F Wheel Travel
Volant CAI
SuperChip Tuned
FlowMaster Delta 50 2.25" 2 in 1 out Y-Pipe
PRG Frontier Titan Swap 4" Lift In Front; 2.0 Radflos, SPC UCA
Shackle/Leaf/Bilstein - 3" Lift In Rear
Rock Sliders And Shrockworks Skid Plate Set

285/75/16 Goodyear Wranglers
Even having fun I still got 19.4 mpg. Running the performance 93 setting and 93 octane. Better than before. I just switch to the 87 octane setting and filled the tank with 87 octane fuel today. We will see in a couple of weeks what kind of mpg I get.
Wish I could get 19mpg. All I get is ~15. Coarse heavy oversized ATs and foot doesn't help.
Initial impression of the 87 setting. Very smooth through the entire range, up to 90 mph getting on the express way. Still feels stronger than stock, no pinging.
(02-05-2012, 10:07 PM)BlackTigerSE Wrote:  I've had mine set on 87 for quite a while. The biggest incentive for me is the wide open throttle restriction elimination. I've never tried but I doubt my wheels will chirp in 3rd. I have 50# MT tires on right now, plan on getting 44# AT tires sometime in the spring, maybe then I'll be able to chirp in 3rd.

What is your engine temperature like?
First full tank of 87 octane with 87 tune. 18.8mpg. I did have to drive fast one time so the second tank is on board. This tune is boring and if the mpg's stay the same I am going to choose the fun one, 93 octane
All mixed driving? City and highway?
Mostly city, but a couple of fast trips on the highway. The current tank will be mostly city driving.
I finally figured out how to mount it so that I can have it running and see real time info on the internals of the truck.

Got a cell phone holder with a suction cup to the windshield. Not permanent and it holds it well.

And the wires under the dash

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Looks good right there. Any worries about theft, though.
Not really, I live and work in a safe area if I go anywhere I can always un-clip it and even take it with me since it is not permanently attached. Plus if it is stolen they cannot use it and Superchips can even track it someone else tries to register it.
Second gas tank with 87 tune, 19 mpg. Stop and go traffic and speeds less than 65 the entire time.
Not tO bad, but not near as fun to drive...correct?
Correct, and I got 19.4mpg ( with 93 ). Still better than stock since WOT is ON! Smile all the time. I will keep the 87 tune since the price of gas for premium is at $4 per gallon

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Superchips updates Scott@Superchips 2 4,633 06-21-2009, 02:12 PM
Last Post: Sandiegan05fronty
  2.5L Frontiers needed for Superchips product testing Scott@Superchips 0 2,265 03-26-2009, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Scott@Superchips
  superchip released cortex programmer for our trucks qborotali 31 24,709 01-14-2009, 03:35 PM
Last Post: krh2