Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greetings
Hello all,

I just signed up on this forum yesterday. I am Air Force, stationed in New Mexico. I am shopping for a new truck and had my heart set on a new tacoma, but events have conspired against me. I have been looking at the tacomas since last october, but decided that I had better see what else was out there and comparable, and started researching the frontier. For the money, I think the frontier is a as good or better. In addition, the toyota dealer in my area is not interested in working with customers and wants only to sell the vehicles on the lot and make a buck. After I was turned off of toyota, I went to the local nissan dealer and was pleasantly surprised. They are interested in working with me to build the truck i want, not just clearing lot inventory. I am very picky. I have a 96 F-150 that i have had for 11 years. I love it, but i am ready for a new ride. I want another manual, and the tacoma and frontier are the only options. nissan is not currently producing manuals, as there isn't enough demand, so i will wait until production starts again to get my truck exactly the way i want it. This will be my first new vehicle, and I want it to be right. I wanted to sign on to a forum in advance to do some reseach and get a feel for the truck and the people who drive them.
Sorry, I don't have any slick quotes for my signature block. I'll have to work on that.

Bob Merrill
Welcome to The Spot. Thank you for serving in our nations military. I am more thanhappy with my 06 CC even though I have had a few issues. Any vehicle is likely to have issues.

Send me a message when you get ready to buy. I can save you a few dollars.
06 nismo CC 4X4: SOLD and replaced with 2017 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon; Teraflex 3" lift, 315/70-17 Cooper STT PRO tires on Fuel Trophy wheels, JCR bumpers front and rear w/Warn 9.5cti winch in front, Ace sliders, GraBars, Weathertech window deflectors and floor liners
98 Jeep Wrangler in the garage, 2" lift, 33X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Locks, Pioneer/MTX/RF P3 Sound, Borla Header w/Flowmaster
63 and 67 Nissan Patrols (under construction)
Welcome to the Spot, you have found the right site regarding knowledgeable folks who know Frontiers. One good thing having to wait is Nissan may and I state may be ready to make a major body change. We should know something by September one way or another. Good luck on your next purchase. Thanks for serving in our nations military.
Welcome to the spot. Have you test drove both trucks? I didn't like the feel of the clutch in the tacoma, only because I'm used to driving manual cars. You can forget about the reputation of the tacoma line, they have their problems just like any other truck on the market. Of course you'll have a bigger aftermarket choice, but the nissan aftermarket is growing. It all comes down to what you want in a truck. Ask us anything.
07 SE KC 4x4 6M M226 3.538 10"R/10"F Wheel Travel
Volant CAI
SuperChip Tuned
FlowMaster Delta 50 2.25" 2 in 1 out Y-Pipe
PRG Frontier Titan Swap 4" Lift In Front; 2.0 Radflos, SPC UCA
Shackle/Leaf/Bilstein - 3" Lift In Rear
Rock Sliders And Shrockworks Skid Plate Set

285/75/16 Goodyear Wranglers
(07-18-2011, 12:23 PM)BlackTigerSE Wrote:  Welcome to the spot. Have you test drove both trucks? I didn't like the feel of the clutch in the tacoma, only because I'm used to driving manual cars. You can forget about the reputation of the tacoma line, they have their problems just like any other truck on the market. Of course you'll have a bigger aftermarket choice, but the nissan aftermarket is growing. It all comes down to what you want in a truck. Ask us anything.

I have driven both a frontier and a tacoma, and they seem similar. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to drive a stick, as they aren't available on the lots here. There is no interest in actually driving your own vehicle around here. (my appologies to those of you with autos, but I am very oppinionated). That is my biggiest sticking point, that I am buying a truck without having driven it in the configuration i want. I do know that there are issues with the tacomas as well, as I have been on one of those forums for a few months soaking up owners experiences. i could honestly be happy with either, and neither is available with everything I was looking for, but I like that the frontier has 4 wheel discs and more power and torque, as well as a bigger back seat. I wanted a new truck for traveling with the family and take some miles off of my wife's escape (which we love).

Bob
(07-18-2011, 12:25 AM)mdawg4x4 Wrote:  Welcome to The Spot. Thank you for serving in our nations military. I am more thanhappy with my 06 CC even though I have had a few issues. Any vehicle is likely to have issues.

I want to get one ASAP, but it will be a few months. I have been talking to one of the owners at the local dealer and they are working to find me what i am looking for. there are only two manuals in 1,500 miles and i have to wait to have one built, but there aren't enough requesitions in for sticks right now to start production, so I am on hold until then. I am very serious about getting what i want and not making too many compromises. I don't know if you are familiar with USAA, but they have a great car buying service and work with dealers in a network to offer competative prices to their members. the dealer here told me that they would honor the usaa price even though they arent in the network anymore, and that really impressed me. the truck I speced out can in a about 33K, and they would sell it to me for 27K, so i am very happy. Part of that is the 3K factory incentive that expires the end of July, so I don't know how that will work with having to wait, but we will see. I would be happy to take any info or advice you could offer though.

Bob

Sorry, I don't have any slick quotes for my signature block. I'll have to work on that.

Bob Merrill
I love my manual! It is a hot rod. Are you getting a 2wd or 4wd?
[Image: 3gears.gif]06 CC 4X2 6sp Avalanche White NISMO SPORT[Image: drive.gif]
[Image: 43d20b1b.jpg]
Click on the picture for my Frontier thread
(07-19-2011, 08:18 PM)Shift_Avenger Wrote:  I love my manual! It is a hot rod. Are you getting a 2wd or 4wd?

I want a CC, 4WD, pro4x, 6M, night armor grey. apparently this truck does not exist anywhere on any dealer lots within 1,500 miles of my location. like i said, i have to wait for enough manuals to be ordered for a production run to be done. I hate that i can't get the luxury package with the manual. I really wanted the power seat and leather. it seems like all the companies are against people who want a manual truck.

Bob Merrill
Welcome to the spot.
(07-19-2011, 10:44 PM)crash77 Wrote:  
(07-19-2011, 08:18 PM)Shift_Avenger Wrote:  I love my manual! It is a hot rod. Are you getting a 2wd or 4wd?

I want a CC, 4WD, pro4x, 6M, night armor grey. apparently this truck does not exist anywhere on any dealer lots within 1,500 miles of my location. like i said, i have to wait for enough manuals to be ordered for a production run to be done. I hate that i can't get the luxury package with the manual. I really wanted the power seat and leather. it seems like all the companies are against people who want a manual truck.

Well, i wish you luck on your pursuit, and i hope we continue seeing you around the board. I have the opportunity to trade in my truck, but I'm too attached to it. I'm sure you'll be more than happy with your decision. Our members have a lot of knowledge, so if you plan on making modifications, ask for our opinion.
07 SE KC 4x4 6M M226 3.538 10"R/10"F Wheel Travel
Volant CAI
SuperChip Tuned
FlowMaster Delta 50 2.25" 2 in 1 out Y-Pipe
PRG Frontier Titan Swap 4" Lift In Front; 2.0 Radflos, SPC UCA
Shackle/Leaf/Bilstein - 3" Lift In Rear
Rock Sliders And Shrockworks Skid Plate Set

285/75/16 Goodyear Wranglers
(07-18-2011, 04:04 PM)crash77 Wrote:  
(07-18-2011, 12:25 AM)mdawg4x4 Wrote:  Welcome to The Spot. Thank you for serving in our nations military. I am more thanhappy with my 06 CC even though I have had a few issues. Any vehicle is likely to have issues.

I want to get one ASAP, but it will be a few months. I have been talking to one of the owners at the local dealer and they are working to find me what i am looking for. there are only two manuals in 1,500 miles and i have to wait to have one built, but there aren't enough requesitions in for sticks right now to start production, so I am on hold until then. I am very serious about getting what i want and not making too many compromises. I don't know if you are familiar with USAA, but they have a great car buying service and work with dealers in a network to offer competative prices to their members. the dealer here told me that they would honor the usaa price even though they arent in the network anymore, and that really impressed me. the truck I speced out can in a about 33K, and they would sell it to me for 27K, so i am very happy. Part of that is the 3K factory incentive that expires the end of July, so I don't know how that will work with having to wait, but we will see. I would be happy to take any info or advice you could offer though.

Bob

I work for Nissan and can get you a small discount off of dealer invoice that usually works out to be dealer invoice after taxes. Plus, you get any additional factory rebates and/or special interest rates available on top of that. I seldom see rebates plus special interest at the same time anymore. It is usually one or the other, but you never know unless you ask. You are welcome to try it to see if it saves you more.
As for waiting for the manual to go into production, not true. It is no different than a 4cyl vehicle being built mixed in with 6cyl units. A manual just is not as popular as they once were, therefore, they don't make as many, especially in the PRO-4X. It is just a matter of getting one built and it being allotted to your dealership.

You can keep an eye on all the dealer inventories within a 250 mile radius from you through the nissanusa.com website. And, not saying anything about the dealer you are dealing with, but, if another dealer has the vehicle you want, they don't have to let another dealer have it. I had a local dealer do me the same way, when I knew a dealer from Vicksburg (~1hr away) had the exact vehicle I was trying to buy. But the Vicksburg dealer wouldn't let the local dealer have it. The local dealer kept giving me the run-a-round, so I went to Vicksburg, had a great experience, and have bought 3 additional Nissans through them since, 1 of them 3 days later.

Anyway, let me know if I can help.
06 nismo CC 4X4: SOLD and replaced with 2017 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon; Teraflex 3" lift, 315/70-17 Cooper STT PRO tires on Fuel Trophy wheels, JCR bumpers front and rear w/Warn 9.5cti winch in front, Ace sliders, GraBars, Weathertech window deflectors and floor liners
98 Jeep Wrangler in the garage, 2" lift, 33X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Locks, Pioneer/MTX/RF P3 Sound, Borla Header w/Flowmaster
63 and 67 Nissan Patrols (under construction)
Thanks for the info. I will stick with the dealer here for now. I live in Portales, NM and the closests other dealers are two hours away. I haved talked to one of the owners on two occasions and he seems eager to work with me to get the truck I want. The way he explained it yesterday when I stopped by was that he already put in my order and they just have to wait for a manual to go accross the line that isn't spoken for already and they will assign a temp VIN to it assigning it to me. He did re-state that he won't know the new month's production run until the beginning of the month, but he was going to email someone to check on it. I did ask about the current factory incentive and he said that I won't get it unless my order is processed and a truck started before it ends, but that they always do something and he doen't think i should have a problem getting at least 2k off. I have been waming up to the body. I didn't like it as much as the Tacoma at first, but it does look more truckish, so that's good. I have noticed that there aren't as many recalls or TSBs for the late model frontier as for the tacomas, so that's another bonus. Later.

(07-20-2011, 10:36 PM)mdawg4x4 Wrote:  
(07-18-2011, 04:04 PM)crash77 Wrote:  

Bob

I work for Nissan and can get you a small discount off of dealer invoice that usually works out to be dealer invoice after taxes. Plus, you get any additional factory rebates and/or special interest rates available on top of that. I seldom see rebates plus special interest at the same time anymore. It is usually one or the other, but you never know unless you ask. You are welcome to try it to see if it saves you more.
As for waiting for the manual to go into production, not true. It is no different than a 4cyl vehicle being built mixed in with 6cyl units. A manual just is not as popular as they once were, therefore, they don't make as many, especially in the PRO-4X. It is just a matter of getting one built and it being allotted to your dealership.

You can keep an eye on all the dealer inventories within a 250 mile radius from you through the nissanusa.com website. And, not saying anything about the dealer you are dealing with, but, if another dealer has the vehicle you want, they don't have to let another dealer have it. I had a local dealer do me the same way, when I knew a dealer from Vicksburg (~1hr away) had the exact vehicle I was trying to buy. But the Vicksburg dealer wouldn't let the local dealer have it. The local dealer kept giving me the run-a-round, so I went to Vicksburg, had a great experience, and have bought 3 additional Nissans through them since, 1 of them 3 days later.

Anyway, let me know if I can help.

Bob Merrill