Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Car Overheated, Need New one and Some Advice
Hello everyone.

First of all, I hope I've posted this in the correct section. Forgive me If I haven't. I'm ok with it being moved to its correct forum section if need be.

Anyways, I own a 99 Nissan Frontier. This car has been great to me since I purchased it used from a buddy just over a year ago. It's fulfilled its job quite well, while sparing me any headache. However, just yesterday my car overheated on me. When I got home I inspected its radiator and found that this part was to blame. It showed signs of leakage and a majority of the fins were severely bent. I know that replacement is my only option at this point, but before I do so, I'd like some advice. I've decided to purchase an aftermarket version online, but don't know which companies are reputable. I've found two that I particularly like but before I buy from one of them, I'd like some sort of verification that they are a legitimate business. I almost never buy anything online so I don't know how to spot a scam, and I can't afford to be scammed.

Has anyone dealt with either of the following companies and can verify that they are a legitimate company? The parts on each site match the OEM number of the part I need.. Thanks in advance.

http://www.partsultimate.com/index.php?r..._id=120081
or
http://www.radiatorspot.com/nissan/front...ml#MjQwODM
Have you tried just flushing the radiator? Sometimes that is all you need to do. The water/antifreeze looses its ability to transfer heat as efficiently and it can also clog the pipes with rust on the inside. As far as the companies check with the Better business bureau where the companies are located.
BTW, welcome to the SPOT!
[Image: 3gears.gif]06 CC 4X2 6sp Avalanche White NISMO SPORT[Image: drive.gif]
[Image: 43d20b1b.jpg]
Click on the picture for my Frontier thread
Welcome NickFerris!

Are you 100% certain that the radiator needs to be replaced? I've never had a Nissan overheat on me, so I can't say I'd purchase from those sites. I would consult with someone at a dealer or PepBoys before buying online. To make sure you've got the right solution to the problem. Like Shift Avenger says, maybe a flush is all you need.. but then at the same time, maybe a flush may be pointless if it is much more severe.

I would check with these guys, I've bought several parts from them since owning my Frontier.
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/i...atalogid=0
'06 Queen Cab SE - Adios Dezert.. NorCal Bound!
[Image: Ogilby-1.png][Image: fro2-1-2.jpg]

Welcome to FS Nick. I have no experience buying a radiator online. I have always bought from NAPA whenever possible. They are a little more expensive on most parts, but have quality products and stand behind them.

Drop in at the New Member Thread and introduce yourself.
06 nismo CC 4X4: SOLD and replaced with 2017 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon; Teraflex 3" lift, 315/70-17 Cooper STT PRO tires on Fuel Trophy wheels, JCR bumpers front and rear w/Warn 9.5cti winch in front, Ace sliders, GraBars, Weathertech window deflectors and floor liners
98 Jeep Wrangler in the garage, 2" lift, 33X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Locks, Pioneer/MTX/RF P3 Sound, Borla Header w/Flowmaster
63 and 67 Nissan Patrols (under construction)
First of all, welcome to the site. Second af all, PLEASE don't call your Frontier a "car". They prefer to be called "truck".

If the fins are bent, it may be from overzealous pressure washing. While it may be possible to straighten them, you may have to remove the rad to get at them properly. At that point, you might as well replace it.
They do corrode, and they do develop scale that hinders cooling. Yours is 12 years old, and would probably be a candidate for replacement. Another thing is that the plastic tanks become britttle with age and can blow out with little or no warning, leaving you stranded.
They are commonly available and often and in-stock item at major parts houses. The last one I picked up for my Hardbody (pre-Frontier) was $125 out the door at AutoZone. I would recommend buying local so you can inspect the part for damage before you buy it.
If you prefer, you can buy online from major parts houses and have your stuff delivered to your door. If there is a problem, you can return it to the nearest store.
X2
06 nismo CC 4X4: SOLD and replaced with 2017 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon; Teraflex 3" lift, 315/70-17 Cooper STT PRO tires on Fuel Trophy wheels, JCR bumpers front and rear w/Warn 9.5cti winch in front, Ace sliders, GraBars, Weathertech window deflectors and floor liners
98 Jeep Wrangler in the garage, 2" lift, 33X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Locks, Pioneer/MTX/RF P3 Sound, Borla Header w/Flowmaster
63 and 67 Nissan Patrols (under construction)
(04-08-2011, 12:23 PM)Reserector Wrote:  First of all, welcome to the site. Second af all, PLEASE don't call your Frontier a "car". They prefer to be called "truck".

I call mine a pickup, lol. Tongue

NickFerris, Any luck with the radiator?

'06 Queen Cab SE - Adios Dezert.. NorCal Bound!
[Image: Ogilby-1.png][Image: fro2-1-2.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oil and filter advice needed please rick42 1 278 11-02-2018, 11:04 PM
Last Post: Shift_Avenger