Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New guys ... towing 6k ?

Sup everyone. I just traded my Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel for a 11 Frontier 4X4 S.

Got the Frontier at a real good price but got raped bad .. bad on the Ram. Diesels are no longer sought after .. anyway ..

I traded because costs are rising, we've decided that the 08 Keystone Passport 31' Travel trailer will go .. thus getting rid of the Ram .. between everything going up, the cost of Diesel and two girls starting college in a few years ... looking forward, its just time to down size.

My question is .. can this thing really tow 6k lbs ? My camper is about 6k dry.

I really only MAY need to move the camper around the yard or maybe bring it to a buyer .. this kind of load / work wont be the norm.

All this truck will need to do is to pull my flat bed utility trailer with my 08 VTX 1800 (already made it clear that my bike aint goin anywhere Tongue ) on it .. I believe I could probably do that off the bumper .. wont .. of course .. will get the hit and 4 pin installed. Also yard work, pick up salt for the purifier .. furniture on occasion and weekly runs to the dump. Im sure its capable of this.

So how bout that 6300 lb wiff the wd hitch ?
Best Regards

2011 Avalanche/Steel Crew Cab S 4.0l V6 Auto 4x4 SB
The Frontier with the great little VQ engine is an amazingly capable vehicle, but its pulling capacity pales in comparison with your old Cummins diesel. Will it pull 6300 pounds? The factory says it will (though that's right at the max) but it will be working hard to do it, will be grunt slow, and will get about 6-8 MPG. I used my Frontier to haul a utility trailer with my ATV's (about 2500# total) and couldn't wait to get the rig unhooked at the end of the day. My guess is that it would pull your trailer for short distances, but I wouldn't make a habit of it. Look at it this way: Your old Ram 2500 was an offensive guard--your new Frontier is a running back.

(12-20-2010, 09:38 PM)sumncguy Wrote:  Sup everyone. I just traded my Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel for a 11 Frontier 4X4 S.

Got the Frontier at a real good price but got raped bad .. bad on the Ram. Diesels are no longer sought after .. anyway ..

I traded because costs are rising, we've decided that the 08 Keystone Passport 31' Travel trailer will go .. thus getting rid of the Ram .. between everything going up, the cost of Diesel and two girls starting college in a few years ... looking forward, its just time to down size.

My question is .. can this thing really tow 6k lbs ? My camper is about 6k dry.

I really only MAY need to move the camper around the yard or maybe bring it to a buyer .. this kind of load / work wont be the norm.

All this truck will need to do is to pull my flat bed utility trailer with my 08 VTX 1800 (already made it clear that my bike aint goin anywhere Tongue ) on it .. I believe I could probably do that off the bumper .. wont .. of course .. will get the hit and 4 pin installed. Also yard work, pick up salt for the purifier .. furniture on occasion and weekly runs to the dump. Im sure its capable of this.

So how bout that 6300 lb wiff the wd hitch ?

jack <><
2012 Crew Cab SV
http://www.reverendbiker.com
Oh yeah ... that Cummins was an animal.

I questioned the tow capacity of the Frontier but as I said ..Id only be moving the camper around the yard and possibly need to bring it to a buyer.

From your comments I guess the answer is no.
Best Regards

2011 Avalanche/Steel Crew Cab S 4.0l V6 Auto 4x4 SB
The most I've hauled in a single trip was 4,700 pounds (plus the weight of the trailer since the scales at the dump just show the difference) split between the bed and a flatbed trailer. The only problems I encountered were of my own making by poorly distributing the weight. Initial take off was a little slow, but once moving accelerating wasn't an issue. If I were hauling loads like that regularly I'd get a brake controller and a trailer with brakes, but that's it.
I believe the max towing capacity is with a manual tranny. I wouldn't make a habit out of that kind of load. And would definitely do the 7 pin with brakes.
06 nismo CC 4X4: SOLD and replaced with 2017 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon; Teraflex 3" lift, 315/70-17 Cooper STT PRO tires on Fuel Trophy wheels, JCR bumpers front and rear w/Warn 9.5cti winch in front, Ace sliders, GraBars, Weathertech window deflectors and floor liners
98 Jeep Wrangler in the garage, 2" lift, 33X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Locks, Pioneer/MTX/RF P3 Sound, Borla Header w/Flowmaster
63 and 67 Nissan Patrols (under construction)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Towing with Dumbo Mirrors FW_Fronty 1 3,120 05-16-2015, 08:10 AM
Last Post: mdawg4x4
  Life with Dumbo Towing Mirrors FW_Fronty 5 5,530 03-26-2015, 08:54 PM
Last Post: FW_Fronty
  Light trailer towing blues FW_Fronty 12 15,833 10-08-2014, 12:20 PM
Last Post: mdawg4x4
  Frontier extendable towing mirrors greybrick 51 70,385 06-22-2014, 11:03 AM
Last Post: FRONT4X
  Towing: Is This Too Much? OldBill 15 17,729 05-05-2014, 05:51 AM
Last Post: JoanLingo