Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newby looking to add performance!
hey guys i just bought a 05 CC black 4X2 Nismo with 74K miles on it. Its all stock except for the BFG AT's @ 285X65R16. Driving it home on the interstate last night averaging 73 MPH it was averaging mid 15's on MPG's. I would like to get the best bang for my buck to upgrade the peformance and fuel mileage. Im a firm believer in opening up the air intake but ive never invested in a Cold Air Intake before ive just swapped K&N's in place of the stock filter. So WHO has the best CAI system on the market? i found a brand ive never heard of called Kool-Vue for 73 bucks. Anyone ever try one of these? im willing to put down the 200 to 300 bucks for a ingen or K&N but if this is a decent system you cant beat the price
here is the data from the website:

2000 SERIES HIGH-FLOW PERFORMANCE COLD AIR INTAKE SYSTEM -- Provides additional power up to 9.15 h.p. at 4700 RPM; Up to 99 percent filtration efficiency; Includes premium red air filter, intake tube, heat shield, and all necessary hardware for easy installation; Features polished intake tubing that is made of lightweight T-6061 aluminum; Provides more power throughout the vehicle's full RPM range using mandrel-bent piping and reusable high flowing air filter; Increases fuel mileage; With limited lifetime warranty.
Welcome--sounds like you've found a nice truck! Upgrading your intake on the Frontier V-6 is a mixed bag since the stock unit is already pretty efficient. Are there gains to be had? Yes, a true free-flowing "cold air" system will get you 8-10 rear-wheel horsepower--mostly in the upper end of the RPM range where you'll never see it. I'm not familiar with the unit you describe in your post, but most of the budget systems fail because they don't insulate the intake very well from the heat of the engine compartment; they may be free-flowing, but they just flow more heated air (not a good thing). For the asking price, my guess is that you won't get much performance increase but the truck will make a cool howling sound when you get on it.
As for a K&N drop-in, forget it. You'll get absolutely NO increase in performance or mileage on this truck. I've proven this with a series of dyno tests--you might want to look at them before buying:
Reverendbiker's Dyno Testing

(03-16-2010, 03:35 PM)2005blknismo Wrote:  hey guys i just bought a 05 CC black 4X2 Nismo with 74K miles on it. Its all stock except for the BFG AT's @ 285X65R16. Driving it home on the interstate last night averaging 73 MPH it was averaging mid 15's on MPG's. I would like to get the best bang for my buck to upgrade the peformance and fuel mileage. Im a firm believer in opening up the air intake but ive never invested in a Cold Air Intake before ive just swapped K&N's in place of the stock filter. So WHO has the best CAI system on the market? i found a brand ive never heard of called Kool-Vue for 73 bucks. Anyone ever try one of these? im willing to put down the 200 to 300 bucks for a ingen or K&N but if this is a decent system you cant beat the price
here is the data from the website:

2000 SERIES HIGH-FLOW PERFORMANCE COLD AIR INTAKE SYSTEM -- Provides additional power up to 9.15 h.p. at 4700 RPM; Up to 99 percent filtration efficiency; Includes premium red air filter, intake tube, heat shield, and all necessary hardware for easy installation; Features polished intake tubing that is made of lightweight T-6061 aluminum; Provides more power throughout the vehicle's full RPM range using mandrel-bent piping and reusable high flowing air filter; Increases fuel mileage; With limited lifetime warranty.
jack <><
2012 Crew Cab SV
http://www.reverendbiker.com
Unless you are going to the track and want to extract the power in the upper range of the power band, you best investment probably would be some highway tires. Even with the performance computer (around$300) it will take you a while to make up your investment. I get about 18 on the city and 21 on the highway (55k).
[Image: 3gears.gif]06 CC 4X2 6sp Avalanche White NISMO SPORT[Image: drive.gif]
[Image: 43d20b1b.jpg]
Click on the picture for my Frontier thread
shift
what size tires? what brand and model?
im seriously thinking about trying to sell the BFG's anyway i have pretty serious vibration/wobble at certain speeds.

anyone know if thats a common problem?
My best investment ever was the cold air intake. It made such a huge difference and my step father thought i wasted my money. I told him about it and he said, after a while you won't notice any change. To this day, i still do. It was night and day to me, driving a brand new truck. But if you want to see mileage improvement, stay small and stay light on the tires. I suffered 2-3 mpg loss from going up 1". I've had size 32" tires and size 33" tires. Although i love how the truck looked with 33" there was no way i could afford the loss on mpg. So i thought maybe going down an inch would work. I was mistaken, and i was still loosing around 2-3 mpg. My next set of tires will still be 32" since 31" would look ridiculous on my 3-4" lifted truck, but a lighter set. And i still like the off-road performance, so i'll be looking for A/T. Right now, i've come down to the new set of DuraTrac... which is in the low 40s when it comes to weight. The stock 31" is 36#s so hopefully i'll be getting some of that loss in MPG back with the 44#? tires. The exhaust system is a waste of money, but some say it's well worth replacing the y-pipe and i would have to agree. The Chip is mainly for performance, i've seen no change in mpg. Everything else, throttle body, intake manifold, grounding, etc. i wouldn't waste my money on.

Don't go cheap on CAI. Go with nismo, volant, injen. If you want to replace the filter, i'd look into amsoil? I don't know much about the filters.

Good luck, oh and every truck is different, so if you don't feel a difference, your out of luck.
07 SE KC 4x4 6M M226 3.538 10"R/10"F Wheel Travel
Volant CAI
SuperChip Tuned
FlowMaster Delta 50 2.25" 2 in 1 out Y-Pipe
PRG Frontier Titan Swap 4" Lift In Front; 2.0 Radflos, SPC UCA
Shackle/Leaf/Bilstein - 3" Lift In Rear
Rock Sliders And Shrockworks Skid Plate Set

285/75/16 Goodyear Wranglers
thanks for the help Black Tiger
my truck is only 4X2 and im not going to lift it since its my daily driver
what tire size would you guys suggest running that would optimize my MPG but not look stupid?
What you should to for some bang for buck performance increase is look into one of my IMS intake manifold spacers. LOL (shameless I know..)

"hp peak 8hp@5600
torque peak 23ft/lds@4400
more important is mid range numbers
hp from 3600-4800 is 23hp increase
torque 3600-4400 is 33-23ft/lbs increase over previous run."

"the IMS really helps to straight and smooth the flow of the ports between the upper and lower manifold"

"ALOT MORE NOTICEABLE, AND THAT WHY I POSTED NUMBERS IN THE MIDRANGE AS THAT WAS A NICE INCREASE WITH 30FT/LBS IN THE RANGE I AM IN WHEN I WANT POWER.....(FREEWAY PASSING) WITHOUT HAVING TO TAKE IT TO REDLINE. AND I TOOK THE TRUCK 130 MILES ON THE FREEWAY THIS MORNING OUT TO OUR PROPERTY AND WAS ALOT MORE NOTICEABLE ON CRUISE AROUND 65-80"

[Image: IMG_3686.jpg]
2006 Frontier CC 4x4 LE NISMO SPORT Stormgray -
Performance: Airaid Quickfit CAI w/AEM dry filter, XTP I.M.S., 2* Advance,TB Screen removal, Magnaflow Y-pipe, SuperChips Cortex
Exterior: OEM running boards, OEM hood guard, PIAA Xtreme White Plus bulbs in headlights & Fogs, Black Bullet BullBar, PIAA 520 Ion Crystal fogs, Hidden Hitch, OEM Nismo skidplates, Truck-Tec tonneau,Thule rack w/wind deflector,Billet Grill 4 piece
Interior: Pioneer AVIC-F700BT Navigation, Blue LED swap in Gauges
Suspension: PRG Advanced 4WD 2.5" lift w/TC UCAs, 1" DIY BL, Suspension Connection Titan Sway bar bushings
Wheels/Tires: American Outlaw Buckshot 17x9 wheels, 265/70/17 Nitto Terra-Grappler ATs
Other: McMaster-Carr Hood lift mod, Painted wiper panel.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GForce Performance Chip Kit Sandiegan05fronty 5 8,370 12-29-2014, 08:21 PM
Last Post: mdawg4x4
  2001 S/C Frontier performance MacDeezNutz 5 6,049 08-23-2009, 07:30 PM
Last Post: Shift_Avenger
  Companies with performance applications Frontier 2005+ Shift_Avenger 15 12,097 11-06-2008, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Shift_Avenger
  Frontier Performance Mod Sandiegan05fronty 21 25,068 08-24-2008, 01:20 AM
Last Post: Maine 6-spd CC
  Performance Tuner Frontier 2005+ HELP!! Shift_Avenger 15 12,437 05-16-2008, 01:05 PM
Last Post: Blitzkrieg
  JWT Performance parts Shift_Avenger 6 6,406 03-31-2008, 09:33 AM
Last Post: Sandiegan05fronty
  Navara turbo diesel performance products Shift_Avenger 6 6,676 01-31-2008, 08:48 PM
Last Post: Sandiegan05fronty
  Performance Shows Newman 2 3,450 11-21-2007, 11:33 AM
Last Post: Newman