Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is your food good enough for you?
Here i am in Northern California, where the hippies and earth awareness lovers are walking barefoot on the streets. I've decided to buy healthier food locally to try and fit in and possibly live a better lift by eating healthier. So I've given up the popular grocery/food store chains and started shopping at the Co-op about 3 blocks from the house. I do go to Costco to buy the bulky stuff but keep away from the foods that contain bad ingredients. I grew up buying most of my grocery from the military base Commissary, Winco, and Fred Meyer. I don't care what Corn Syrup suppliers say on their overpayed commercials. They can say what they want but, i know what the facts are and I'm going to try my best to avoid that stuff, even if that means paying more for food that contains the real stuff. I've even stopped buying from fast food chains. I try to stick with locally owned or just make healthier decisions.

So i went to the Co-op and bought a $25 lifetime membership card. They say it will pay for itself, lets hope so. I'll let you know if i get any $$ back from them, lol. Anyways i bought groceriers today because 2nd wednesday of every month they have a 10% sale on everything. I nearly crapped my pants when i saw the bill. A .68 lb bag of Chocolate covered organic cherries for $13.00?!?!?! The bill racked up to a total of $73.00 but with the 10% off i got $7.30 back 165 I learned my lesson on the chocolate covered cherries...NOT TO BUY THEM!, lol. But they had a lot of good stuff. I bought a bag of cereal and wow, they were a lot tastier than i thought.

It's not just the corn syrup or pesticide covered vegetables, that made me change my way of life...it's the satisfactory of supporting our local economy, farmers, Employees, etc. I hate the idea of buying bananas thousands of miles away. I hate the fact that i bought 24 pack plastic water bottles when i was younger. Why do you want a diesel powered ship to ship you water from fuji when you have water here in the U.S.?

Do you know what i mean? I brought this thread up, because of all the other recent threads and discussions that are taking place among the frontyspot community about what is happening to the economy today.

Between, the chocolate covered cherries are delicious!
07 SE KC 4x4 6M M226 3.538 10"R/10"F Wheel Travel
Volant CAI
SuperChip Tuned
FlowMaster Delta 50 2.25" 2 in 1 out Y-Pipe
PRG Frontier Titan Swap 4" Lift In Front; 2.0 Radflos, SPC UCA
Shackle/Leaf/Bilstein - 3" Lift In Rear
Rock Sliders And Shrockworks Skid Plate Set

285/75/16 Goodyear Wranglers
I try to eat healthy, lots of fruits and vegetables, lots of whole grains, but I have a tough time leaving the sweets alone. I too recently bought a box of chocolate covered cherries. I do buy some organic vegetables, but the quality does not seem to be all that good. The last bag of celery, I ended up throwing most of it out as they were broken up on the inside.

Besides, from what my health magazines say, just because it says organic does not guarantee that is what you are getting. The definition of organic is very loosely interpreted and as long as any stage of the process is organic it can be labeled as such.

It takes quite a few years to get the pesticides and herbicides out of the soil so a field has to remain dormant for that period of time if you want to be an organic grower. With the integrity of many people these days do you really think you can trust what they say?

You can grow your own, but you have to see the above paragraph to see what you are up against before you try it. While I love to grow flowers and have some success at it I have not been very successful with vegetables. Fruits are very difficult to grow in this area so that is pretty much out of the question.

OkieScot
OkieScot Wrote:I try to eat healthy, lots of fruits and vegetables, lots of whole grains, but I have a tough time leaving the sweets alone. I too recently bought a box of chocolate covered cherries. I do buy some organic vegetables, but the quality does not seem to be all that good. The last bag of celery, I ended up throwing most of it out as they were broken up on the inside.

Besides, from what my health magazines say, just because it says organic does not guarantee that is what you are getting. The definition of organic is very loosely interpreted and as long as any stage of the process is organic it can be labeled as such.

It takes quite a few years to get the pesticides and herbicides out of the soil so a field has to remain dormant for that period of time if you want to be an organic grower. With the integrity of many people these days do you really think you can trust what they say?

You can grow your own, but you have to see the above paragraph to see what you are up against before you try it. While I love to grow flowers and have some success at it I have not been very successful with vegetables. Fruits are very difficult to grow in this area so that is pretty much out of the question.

OkieScot

You're absolutely right.
Before i changed my ways, i thought the exact same thing. How can i trust that this is 100% organic and not just words printed on the package claiming it really organic. Try and get involved with your community, especially the suppliers who supply the shelves at the Co-op or wherever you shop. Our local co-op has monthly meetings held and if your a member (like me) you can have a say on whatever you please to bring up. I'm sure the co-op goes through a long process to make sure it's organically grown or has organic ingredients in the product.

If this doesn't work out, you can always start growing vegetables and possibly fruit yourself, which my mom started doing. It saves money and you don't have to worry about buying vegetables/fruits thousands of miles away. All i'm saying is think about where you buy your vegetables, dairy products, fruits, etc. Do you want it to be from a corporate owned farms that sprays toxins on what you eat and possibly cause cancer or do you want to help out your local farmer that is trying to do the right thing with his small patch of land.
Volant CAI
SuperChip Tuned

As I said before, central Oklahoma is not conducive to growing fruit. We do have some peaches in the southeastern part of the state. Tomatoes don't do too well either because of our hot nights. Except for a short perid in the spring and then again for a short period early in the fall, if you can keep your plants alive you get production. Not really worth it to me.

I also have a terrible time with critters/birds getting into anything that I grow since I have made my yard an Oklahoma approved wildscape habitat.

OkieScot
OkieScot Wrote:As I said before, central Oklahoma is not conducive to growing fruit. We do have some peaches in the southeastern part of the state. Tomatoes don't do too well either because of our hot nights. Except for a short perid in the spring and then again for a short period early in the fall, if you can keep your plants alive you get production. Not really worth it to me.

I also have a terrible time with critters/birds getting into anything that I grow since I have made my yard an Oklahoma approved wildscape habitat.

OkieScot

I hear yah. I guess this doesn't really apply to everyone. Nice conversation we've started though. I brought all this up because I'm taking an agricultural geography class at the moment. Insane amount of reading in this class. 5 books for one class = $75 in book fees uhg. Most of the information i'm getting out of these books, i already know. The professor covers the physical part of agriculture in class while the cultural part comes out of the books we read. Even though this class has motivated me in changing my ways, i don't know how i'll be able to pass the mid-term 281
Volant CAI
SuperChip Tuned

Black Tiger, this is an important post for the near future, we have all got to support local growers of food this year, or we may have less next year, or more next year if they have our support. I did go to Costco today to get a load of canned food for long term storage, even got some Spam in a 3 pack! Yum!
WW
'05 KC NISMO 6 spd.'08 Rogue SL AWD
What to avoid when shopping at the grocery store. At-least TRY! 163
High Fructose >Corn Syrup<
MSG
Aspartmene
Volant CAI
SuperChip Tuned

BlackTigerSE Wrote:What to avoid when shopping at the grocery store. At-least TRY! 163
High Fructose >Corn Syrup<
MSG
Aspartmene

That is why I just shop at McDs, Wendy's, Sonic,,,etc. 205 JK. There is nothing better than fresh produce grown organically.
06 nismo CC 4X4: SOLD and replaced with 2017 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon; Teraflex 3" lift, 315/70-17 Cooper STT PRO tires on Fuel Trophy wheels, JCR bumpers front and rear w/Warn 9.5cti winch in front, Ace sliders, GraBars, Weathertech window deflectors and floor liners
98 Jeep Wrangler in the garage, 2" lift, 33X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 MT Classic Locks, Pioneer/MTX/RF P3 Sound, Borla Header w/Flowmaster
63 and 67 Nissan Patrols (under construction)
Hahaha, no kidding! All those places support those ingredients!
Volant CAI
SuperChip Tuned

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favorite Thanksgiving Food(s) mdawg4x4 21 17,419 12-01-2010, 01:51 AM
Last Post: La Queen
  GOOD MORNING! Sandiegan05fronty 469 328,749 11-05-2010, 06:58 AM
Last Post: mdawg4x4
  H.R. 875...FREE OUR FOOD! BlackTigerSE 0 1,642 04-16-2009, 11:42 PM
Last Post: BlackTigerSE
  Five summer food myths Sandiegan05fronty 3 3,005 06-20-2008, 09:13 PM
Last Post: mdawg4x4
  Good news / sad news Shift_Avenger 35 22,650 05-07-2008, 01:19 AM
Last Post: carphreak
  Good ol' Days Sandiegan05fronty 3 3,585 02-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Sandiegan05fronty
  Anyone good with electronic devices? Newman 5 4,432 10-19-2007, 08:03 AM
Last Post: Shift This
  Good Nature Video RDNF 1 2,809 08-19-2007, 12:25 PM
Last Post: Sandiegan05fronty
  this is not good RDNF 5 4,840 05-13-2007, 11:29 PM
Last Post: silversuper
  Is Mommy back yet? (morphed to we want Mexican food!) LilRedExpress 35 28,682 05-08-2007, 12:08 AM
Last Post: scottsbro23