Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TB MOD
I decided to do the Throttle body screen delete mod that Shift Avenger did, but without the TBS. Basically it helped me out quite a bit. I have noticeably better low end. I can now screech the tires from a stand still where before it was just a skip.

[Image: 13-10-07_1607.jpg]

At the same time, I decided to finish my Volant wannabe Airaid intake kit, and opened up the front grille.

[Image: 13-10-07_1646.jpg]
[Image: 13-10-07_1648.jpg]
[Image: 13-10-07_1649.jpg]

I put the grille back on. I just realized it looks like I left it off. Basically there is a plastic piece on both sides and I removed it on the side near the filter to allow the "ram" air effect into the side of the airaid kit. It should make the horns louder also.
2006 Frontier CC LE NISMO SPORT Silver Streak

Mods: Custom Dynomax Exhaust, Red Calipers, Fog lights on all the time, Airaid Quickfit w/ AEM Dryflow with modified top, Headlight Adjustment Mod, Backup Lights, Leaf Spring Helpers Traction Mod, Hood Protector, 2* timing advance, APC Sport Pedals, TB Screen Delete, Ram Air Grille Mod, Power Brake Mod, Sylvania Ultra Brights

Pics of my truck and ideas http://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k302/ ... /Frontier/
[Image: ava.jpg][Image: avatarcopy-1.jpg]
Awesome Newman! Sounds like you can tell a big difference!
05 Nissan Frontier 4x4, Stillen SuperCharger, BFG AT's Tongue
Sandiegan05fronty Wrote:Awesome Newman! Sounds like you can tell a big difference!

I bet you I had more of a difference doing this than when you put on the super charger 167 NOT!

Mods: Custom Dynomax Exhaust, Red Calipers, Fog lights on all the time, Airaid Quickfit w/ AEM Dryflow with modified top, Headlight Adjustment Mod, Backup Lights, Leaf Spring Helpers Traction Mod, Hood Protector, 2* timing advance, APC Sport Pedals, TB Screen Delete, Ram Air Grille Mod, Power Brake Mod, Sylvania Ultra Brights

Pics of my truck and ideas http://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k302/ ... /Frontier/
so what did the screen do exactly?
"it does not matter who started the thread, at the end of the day i will be it's last poster...."
[Image: carph3.jpg]
carphreak Wrote:so what did the screen do exactly?

x2. i may try this too, id love to have some more low end ponies....
2006 Nismo CC 4x4 -- 18'' Mazzi wheels with 285/65/18 BFG AT's and stock Nismo wheels painted graphite with 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, PRG 2'' lift, Access Lorado tonneau, Airaid intake, 2* timeing advance, helper spring mod, Rear Diff Locker mod, projector headlights w/ 6000k HID's, LED turn signal & tail lights, 60'' LED light bar under tailgate, Alpine CDA-9857 HU, 30GB Ipod, Kicker KX600.4 & KX600.1 amps, Kicker Resolution components (front & rear), Kicker L7 8's (2), Stinger wiring, Optima battery, ScanGauge II, Python 990 Remote Start/Security System

[Image: DSCN23042222222.jpg] [Image: 4xuvddwsq0.gif] [Image: DSCN3000.jpg]
Just did the TB screen delete mod this morning, so far low end is noticeably smoother especially noticeable on a second gear start.
'05 KC NISMO 6 spd.'08 Rogue SL AWD
Truefully I have no clue what the screen does. I havnt noticed my mpg go down, so I think were safe to say that it doesnt do anything.

I heard one person say its to keep rats out if they eat your filter...

Newman Wrote:Truefully I have no clue what the screen does. I havnt noticed my mpg go down, so I think were safe to say that it doesnt do anything.

I heard one person say its to keep rats out if they eat your filter...

lol....well id imagine it would.
2006 Nismo CC 4x4 -- 18'' Mazzi wheels with 285/65/18 BFG AT's and stock Nismo wheels painted graphite with 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, PRG 2'' lift, Access Lorado tonneau, Airaid intake, 2* timeing advance, helper spring mod, Rear Diff Locker mod, projector headlights w/ 6000k HID's, LED turn signal & tail lights, 60'' LED light bar under tailgate, Alpine CDA-9857 HU, 30GB Ipod, Kicker KX600.4 & KX600.1 amps, Kicker Resolution components (front & rear), Kicker L7 8's (2), Stinger wiring, Optima battery, ScanGauge II, Python 990 Remote Start/Security System

[Image: DSCN23042222222.jpg] [Image: 4xuvddwsq0.gif] [Image: DSCN3000.jpg]
killing the screen can only help the motor, i didn't notice any gains with it but i've done a lot recently so cant tell if something small,
so you too, have done this mod, Drew?

hey if it's good enough for Drew, the Nissan Mod God, the chuck norris of nissan customizing, the jack of all trades, then it is good enough for me. i just hope rats won't eat through my filter....
"it does not matter who started the thread, at the end of the day i will be it's last poster...."
Technically, Bernoulli figured all of this out in the 18th century, google his name and you will get the best explanation of how the air flows in the TB.
You don't need to know all the math, just observe the animations.
ok so it seems that the screen is only there to disrupt the flow of air.

is there any other reason nissan had this screen put in there?
Here is some proof for those non believers.

I tested my truck from a stop on a straight long road. As you can see from this video, my tires do not screech only skip and I get a 0-60 of about 6.75-6.9 seconds as my video editor shows me.

[Image: th_bf45cb2d.jpg]

Then last night I went to the same road from a stop and hit it and screeched the tires pretty good. I went to 70, but because of the screeching tires, I lost about a second on the 0-60 time. I went out today, and I got a 0-60 of 6.5 seconds dead.

[Image: th_16-10-07_2026.jpg]

I noticed a lot of difference when I did mine. I have not had a chance to do the TB off/on test but hopeflly I will before my vacation is over. Thanks for the vids. My butt-dyno says you are right.
[Image: 3gears.gif]06 CC 4X2 6sp Avalanche White NISMO SPORT[Image: drive.gif]
[Image: 43d20b1b.jpg]
Click on the picture for my Frontier thread
wait, can you put back the screen once you take it off?
No you cannot. I have the Spacer and Newman wanted to know if it really makes a difference.
I opened up my grill just like you did. I figured it would help get a little more cool air into the engine bay and at the intake. Maybe help keep fan wash from getting into the intake.
I don't think i am gonna do the TB mod just yet. I think I will lurk to find out a little more about it.
As you know, I cut the screen out on Sunday, have had enough days now to evaluate. At start and go in town traffic speeds, my mileage has dropped a little, Highway mileage has remained the same or improved slightly at higher speeds.
My conclusion; the screen is just a throttle body restrictor plate, it improves mileage just enough to let Nissan get the numbers it needs for the Feds. The screen doesn't work with the Bernoulli Principle, because it intercepts both upper and lower air jets at the same distance from the Butterfly valve center, and not from the edges of the upper and lower butterfly valve where the jets originate. The leading and trailing edges of the restrictor plate are square and produce their own small vortices that cause turbulence downstream. A better design for performance would have the leading edges round and the trailing edges at a sharp edge.
As for protection against debris, you could throw cotter pins, bb's, finishing nails and rock salt through that thing with no problem, except for when those items hit your injectors.
So is it worth the work?
Sure, took me 10 to 15 minutes, loosen the top front bolts on the engine cover, loosen the clamps on the TB Hoses, pull the butterfly valve assembly from the TB, pull out the screen, clip out the mesh with wire cutters, and re-assemble.
Next Sunday I will polish the bits of plastic that are sticking out on the edges, also be sure to clean the screen carefully as you don't want bits of plastic in your injectors.
Too bad that screen doesn't seem like it could be ordered separately. It can't be removed completely? (not cut and reinstalled) If not, maybe something could be made to replace it. The entire thing is $138 over at http://www.courtesyparts.com/14013m-col ... 15310.html

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

'08 Nismo 4x4 Silver King Cab 6 Speed M226 3.69 w/ Nismo CAI, Unichip w/ Flux Display, JBA Ceramic Headers & JBA Stainless Catback Exhaust, TBS, TBS coolant-bypass & screen delete
from my understanding that screen is a molded piece of plastic thats connected/molded to the thing. once you take it off/cut it off there's no turning back. also no one has really answered what its purpose is. maybe to silence the engine a bit? keep rats out?
carphreak Wrote:from my understanding that screen is a molded piece of plastic thats connected/molded to the thing. once you take it off/cut it off there's no turning back. also no one has really answered what its purpose is. maybe to silence the engine a bit? keep rats out?

X2,

as I understand it serves 2 purposes. One to prevent large debris from going into the engine second to distribute air evenly throughout the entire intake. Almost like having a bunch of small plane wings.